Friday 25 February 2011

Mary J. Blige- Be Happy (1994)

In 1994, Blige's second album, My Life was released which was again overseen by Combs who also produced more than 50% of the album along with Washington DC native Carl "Chucky" Thompson (despite his having recently left the label), who with Thompson co-produced all but one of the album's tracks, and took over as Blige's manager. Unlike What's the 411?, Blige co-wrote a large body of the material, basing it on her personal life.
One of Mary J's best vocals ever, in my opinion. Curtis Mayfield sets the mood via the sample from You're So Good to Me. Is it me, but does her backing vocal at 2:44 - 2:47 sound like a homage to Marvin Gayes' backing vocals to I Want You? Haunting vocal.












From the album My Life.



No comments:

Post a Comment