Wednesday 6 July 2011

Marva Hicks - I Got You Where I Want (1991)



Cutting her teeth as a gospel singer in Petersburg, Virginia, Marva Hicks later worked in theatre as an actress in Washington, D.C. From there she joined the group, the Eighties Ladies in 1981. She recorded several demos, after the band split, like Looking Over My Shoulder  for Infinity records. Marva wound up singing in Lena Horne's Broadway show which was how she met Stevie Wonder in London, as the show toured there. She toured with Stevie and sang background vocals on his Characters album.
She signed with Polydor in the late '80's and released her debut album Marva Hicks in 1991, with the killer tracks I got you where I want and Never been in love before and the track below, I Got You Where I Want, also the first single from the album. A lovely shuffling, SIIS style beat over strings, with the Extended Club Mix sporting a nice acappella intro and a funky drummer breakdown. A beautiful slice of early nineties street soul.



No comments:

Post a Comment