Friday 24 January 2014

George Benson - Turn Your Love Around (1981)


Turn Your Love Around was written to help fill out Benson's 1981 greatest hits album, The George Benson Collection. It reached no.1 on the soul singles charts and no.5 on the Billboard Hot 100 singles charts in early 1982, as well as the top ten on the jazz chart, a legacy of Benson's Jazz origins. The song won a Best R&B Song Grammy at the 25th Grammy Awards in 1983 for Bill Champlin, Jay Graydon, and Steve Lukather (of Toto) as its composers.
The original inspiration for the song came to co-songwriter Jay Graydon in the bathroom. He explained to Songfacts: "'Turn Your Love Around' was a gift, and it's the gift that keeps giving. I was in the bathroom when I came up with the melody, and I was sitting down, if you get my drift. Well, I got off the can as fast as I could and got to a cassette machine so I wouldn't forget it. George Benson was coming in town Tuesday, so I had four days to come up with a song for The George Benson Collection. And I was gettin' nothing. And then bang! I just came up with this melody for the chorus when I was in the bathroom." Incidentally, the song was one of the first pop hits to feature a Linn LM-1 drum machine, programmed by session drummer, the legendary Jeff Porcaro.
The song was sampled on the album version of Lil' Kim's Not Tonight and on the Japanese 1 million hit song Da.Yo.Ne. by East End X Yuri in 1994.

- The Oakland Stroke

UK release
French release

No comments:

Post a Comment